Friday, January 18, 2008

Dis-assembly and Strip Down to Bare Frame

Here's what I've got so far ... after stripping off all of the brackets, plates, seats, fuel tank, etc., I then began removing the major body pieces. I removed the windshield, hood, front fenders and grill, and then REALLY started tearing this Jeep apart.

REMEMBER - This all happened after I had studied every Jeep manual and web-site I could get my hands on for months. All small parts went into zip-top freezer bags of various sizes labeled with a Sharpie. Also, I took a lot of pictures as I went along.


Body Off:

(Pay no attention to the fat guy in that pic.)

Powerplant out:


Nice little 72 hp 134 cu. in. F-head 4 cyl., on a stand ready for rebuild:


Nice little T-90 transmission, also ready for re-build, and the T-18 transfer case - yep, ready to open up and inspect - I hope it doesn't need a re-build, but we will see:




Also, the axles are out and ready to be opened up and inspected. I hope they don't need much more than seals.

BUT, the next thing to work on is ... the frame (with un-bolted transmission cross member laying on the right) - all stripped down and ready to be cleaned and straightened (it has about a 1-2 in. twist in it, as far as I can tell):

Note: see that little rectangular plate mounted on top of that middle cross member? That's the machine gun pedestal mount - he he.

All looks pretty simple, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment