Monday, February 11, 2008

Cool Tools

OK - I am at the point where I need to contemplate some tools.  Not just the diff spreader (see below), but things like Torque Wrenches, Dial Indicators, Micrometers, Calipers and the like.  I really would like to have a big compressor (like this one or this one) so I can do sand blasting and use air tools, but until I can save up ... well, you know.  My lovely wife bought me this Craftsman set for fathers day, and I already had several sets of screwdrivers, Channel-loks, Vise-Grips, etc.

I've needed a Torque Wrench for a while, but I have to have one to work on this axle (and transmission/transfer-case, and engine).  Here's the one I am currently considering: Torque Wrench

As far as measuring tools, you can spend a lot, or you can spend a little (and get junk).  I am hoping to find something in between.  Here's what I am looking at for these types of tools:

Finally, on a sort of related note, if you are into vintage automobiles, you need to get this book.  It is available in different years and for less than $20.  Audels New Automobile Guide - it is a very comprehensive general guide on automotive mechanics, including the theory behind how everything works.

No comments:

Post a Comment