Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Knuckle Upgrade and Frame Fixing Thoughts

After reading (and re-reading many times) Ludel's book, I decided to upgrade the screws where the spindle bolts to the knuckle on the front axle.  People do this upgrade because the front wheels ride on these spindles that are then attached to the cast iron knuckles by the threads of six rather small screws (the screws go into tapped/threaded holes in the cast iron knuckle).  While the relatively small wheels and low horsepower of my stock Jeep will probably not cause a problem (this upgrade is usually done for those that are using these axles with oversize tires) I figured while I had everything apart, I might as well do it.

I called MIT Drivetrain and bought twelve of their Grade 8 button head crews with nuts and lock washers.  These are screwed in from the inside of the knuckle so that a screw head is holding the screw in the knuckle casting instead of just the threads the way it was stock (See pictures below).  I had to grind a little off of the head of the screws and the very carefully grind very small flats inside of the knuckle for the screw to seat on. 

Stock: Screw AA (with lock washer) is inserted through hole in spindle BB and screwed into knuckle casting X:

KnuckleUpgr-stock 

Upgrade: Grade 8 buttonhead screws are screwed into knuckle casting from the inside ... spindle will be placed over screws and secured with Grade 8 nuts and lock washers:

IMG_4731  IMG_4732

IMG_4734  IMG_4735 

 

I also think I may have found a guy to straighten my frame.  There is a place down the street that restores vintage cars (Back in Time Automotive - Ken Wallace), so I stopped in this morning to ask if they knew of anyone.  At first the guy said no, but after scratching his head for a while, he called a buddy that is "semi-retired" who may be able to help me out.  We'll see.  They also gave me the name of a place that does sand/media blasting, so that makes three places - one up North of town called Procryo who will blast the frame and powder-coat it for $575, a place over West of me that will blast anything I bring them for $60 per hour, and this new place that I haven't called yet.  I am anxious to get this frame DONE!

Finally, I want to put in a plug for John at Midwest Military - he is the man for M-series parts and advice.  I highly recommend him ... if you are restoring an M-series vehicle, you should have his phone number and e-mail address starred in your address book.  He is sending the parts I need to finish this axle up and move on!

No comments:

Post a Comment