Monday, February 4, 2008

Update on Frame and Axles

Yes, I've been working on it - just haven't had time for posts.

I am rebuilding this bad-boy from the frame up. Frame first, then axles, suspension, steering, brakes, transfer, transmission, engine, driveshafts, probably in that order. Of course things change .... but we'll see how it goes. I can't think beyond the frame and axles right now.

I've really been working on cleaning the frame and transmission cross member/skid plate. After playing with a few options, Easy Off Max Professional oven cleaner seems to be my friend in cleaning off "gunk" - oil/mud/slime/etc. - just spray it on, wait a few hours, and then scrub with a brush and hot water, rinse with a hose. I then spent some time with my trusty 4 1/2 inch grinder with a wire cup mounted on it to clean off paint and rust. It's all pretty clean now. I am waiting on a friend to figure out the best place to either have the frame blasted or dipped to complete the clean up.

I have measured it, to the best of my ability utilizing 3D laser level and a plumb bob, and it looks pretty square (within 3/8 inch) and has about a 7/8 inch twist in it. I think someone hit the right side of the back panel, which "jerked" that corner of the frame up a bit. When I get to the body tub, I expect a twist in it, too. I plan on getting this thing on a real frame rack when I get the running gear installed.

While the frame is resting waiting on the next step, my thoughts are turning to the axles. I've re-read all of the manuals (see previous post), and am feeling more confident in taking these on (the axle re-build is more complicated than the engine or powertrain due to the tolerances and set up needed to maintain proper clearances and pre-loads). So, I removed the springs and shocks from the front axle (impact wrench was definitely my friend here!) in preparation to moving it into the garage. I'm going to build a small wooden fixture with casters to hold the axle and allow me to easily move it - this thing is heavy!

I have to go out of town this week, so it will be a few days before I can work on it again. More updates and pictures this weekend, hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment